Road Trip 2009
I recently spent the best part of two weeks on a road trip -- my first in a few years. My girlfriend and I travelled from Brisbane to Melbourne, the east via the Great Ocean Road before turning around and taking the coast road to Sydney and home.
The best bits for me were the winding roads -- between Ipswich and Warwick; around Marysville; the Great Ocean Road; and the Snowy River trail around Buchan. I have to give my girlfriend / co-pilot for finding the best roads for us to enjoy!
Rachel especially enjoyed the various wildlife we encountered. She got to pat an echidna, get within about a metre of a wombat, and play with baby sheep and goats. We also saw whales playing in a bay along the Great Ocean Road, indignant calfs blocking the highway, kookaburras hanging out on road-side posts, and usual menagerie of Australian wildlife.
For those thinking of doing a similar trip, we learnt a couple of valuable lessons:
- The inland way from Brisbane to Melbourne is boring, however it does go past the Parkes Observatory.
- From all accounts the Hume Highway from Melbourne to Sydney is the same. We avoided it and went the coast way.
- The Great Ocean Road has a surprisingly large amount of inland road passing through lucious grazing land. Quite a nice drive, just not what I expected.
- Phone coverage was surprisingly good out of metropolitan areas (I'm on Optus).
- Our Garmin GPS decided to not take us on the freeway during Sydney's peak hour, instead taking us through busy roads. A double check on the iPhone got us back on our speedy way.
The best part of any holiday is the photos, of course. I've included a gallery below for your enjoyment.
blog comments powered by Disqus